If the parents of a child do not live together, one or both can go to court to ask for an order that establishes how much child support should be paid. This often occurs in divorce proceedings when custody of a child is determined. The parent who does not incur the majority of the costs for the child is often the one who is held responsible for paying child support. However, the parents are not the only ones who can be granted child support. If a third party has custody of the child, they can ask the court to order one or both parents to pay child support to them. Also, the county attorney’s office may start a child support case if either parent receives public assistance for the child and they are not married or living together. If you are not receiving child support and you fall under the qualifications to collect it, you should contact an attorney immediately to determine what options you have.

Contact an attorney in this area