Child support can be petitioned for from a number of sources:

  • Parent if they do not live together
  • Third Party who has custody of a child
  • May ask the court to order one or both parents to pay child support
  • County Attorney’s Office
  • Will start a child support case if either parent receives public assistance for the child and they are not married and living together

Table of Contents

Calculating Child Support

Minnesota law uses a method for calculating child support called “Income Shares.” It consists of three parts

  • Basic support: payments for costs for a child’s housing, food, clothing, transportation, education and other expenses to care for the child.
  • Medical support: providing health and dental insurance, payments for costs of health and dental insurance that other parent provides, and other payments for uninsured or unreimbursed medical and dental expenses.
  • Child care support: payments for child care costs when parents go to work or school

Other factors may also be taken into account including:

  • Gross income of both parents
  • Amount of court-ordered parenting time. (The parent will not be forced to pay child support for the time the child is in their care)
  • The law assumes that both parents can or should work and earn an income. The Income Shares formula considers this potential income when factoring child support
  • If the parties do not provide specific details as to their income, the court will use other available evidence to determine child support

Contact an attorney in this area