Unfortunately, landlords and tenants (informally referred to as “renters”) in Minnesota don’t always get along. Sometimes the help of an attorney or the court is needed.

Landlords may do the following:

  • wrongfully withhold a tenant’s security deposit
  • fail to fix problems that the tenant has reported
  • breach of the rental agreement / lease

Tenants (renters) may do the following:

  • fail to pay on time
  • damage the property
  • breach of the rental agreement / lease
  • leave the property without paying the lease or utility bills

This is a partial list of problems that Minnesota landlords and tenants may encounter. However, these are the most common problems.

If you are a renter:

If you are a tenant, attorney Aaron Hall recommends you first call HOME Line at 612-728-5767, which is a free service to Minnesota tenants. HOME Line provides free legal, education, and advocacy services so that tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems. HOME Line is staffed by Minnesota lawyers and law students, so Minnesota tenants can often get free legal advice over the phone. If a tenant still needs to hire an attorney, Aaron Hall is experienced in tenant representation.

Here are some free resources for renters and attorneys representing tenants against landlords in Minnesota.

If you are a landlord:

If you are a landlord, the information at HOME Line can help you know your duties under the law, but HOME Line is geared towards tenants’ rights and how to fight landlords, not landlord’s rights.

Unfortunately, dealing with tenants isn’t always that easy. Attorney Aaron Hall is available to advise landlords regarding their rights and legal options in a consultation (billed at standard hourly rates). Representation in evictions or litigation is also available.

First, consider exploring free resources for landlord-tenant rent disputes.

How do Minnesota landlords and tenants solve their problems?

Problems between landlords and tenants in Minnesota are normally resolved by negotiation. If that doesn’t work, they can pursue litigation. Litigation means initiating a lawsuit. The lawsuit is normally done in conciliation court or housing court, depending on the county in which the property is located.

For more information on starting a lawsuit, you can contact your Minnesota district court, such as the MN Forth District Court serving Hennepin County, the MN Second District Court serving Ramsey County, or the appropriate court for your county.

Contact an attorney in this area