How other health insurance may affect eligibility for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare
When applying for health care programs, you must tell us if you have other health insurance or can get health insurance through:
- A current or former employer
- Military service
- Medicare, including Medicare supplement plans
- Private insurance that you buy, including long-term care and dental insurance
- Workers’ compensation or other insurance that must pay for your medical care
Can I have other health insurance and qualify for Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP)?
- You may qualify for Medical Assistance (MA) even if you have other health insurance.
- You cannot qualify for MinnesotaCare if you can get or are enrolled in certain types of coverage. You must apply to see if you qualify.
If you have Medicare, please see “Can I qualify if I am enrolled in Medicare?” below.
Can I get help paying my health insurance premium?
MA may pay your premium. We will look at the policy and decide if MA will pay the premium so you can keep the insurance.
Can I qualify if I did not enroll in my employer’s insurance?
If you did not enroll in your employer’s insurance, this may affect whether you qualify for coverage through MHCP. We will ask you or your employer about the insurance and let you know if not enrolling affects your eligibility.
Can I qualify if I am enrolled in Medicare?
- You may qualify for MA even if you have Medicare coverage. You may qualify for MA to pay for services that Medicare does not cover. There are also special programs to help pay your Medicare costs, such as premiums, deductibles, and copays.
- You cannot qualify for MinnesotaCare if you are enrolled or can enroll in Medicare.
Can I qualify if I have long-term care (LTC) insurance?
You can qualify for MA even if you have LTC insurance. If you get long-term care services at home or in a facility like a nursing home, the cost will be shared by your LTC insurance and MA.
Call your county or tribal office for more information.
What is Long-Term Care (LTC) Partnership insurance?