An offender who is on probation or parole in another state and who enters the state under a reciprocal agreement under the interstate compact for the supervision of parolees and probationers may enter the state only on the condition that the offender agrees to register under the law while living in Minnesota.

Additionally, the BCA must notify the Commissioner of Corrections:

  1. when the bureau receives notice from local law enforcement authority that an offender from another state has registered with the authority;
  2. when a registration authority, corrections agent, or law enforcement agency in another state notifies the bureau that an offender from another state is moving to Minnesota; and
  3. when the bureau learns that a person from another state is in Minnesota and allegedly in violation of the law for failure to register.

When the BCA learns that an offender from another state intends to move to Minnesota, or has already moved to Minnesota, the bureau must notify the law enforcement authority with jurisdiction in the area of the person’s primary address and provide the authority with all available information concerning the person. Minn. Stat. § 243.166, subd. 9.

CREDIT: The content of this and any related posts has been copied or adopted from the Minnesota House of Representatives Research Department’s Information Brief, Sex Offenders and Predatory Offenders: Minnesota Criminal and Civil Regulatory Laws, written by Legislative Analyst Jeffrey Diebel.
This post is part of a series of posts on Minnesota Criminal and Civil Regulatory Laws Regarding Sex Offenders and Predatory Offenders.