Need Help?

Minnesota Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1-866-223-1111
Minnesota Domestic Abuse Project: 612-874-7063
National Domestic Abuse Hotline: 1-800-799-7233

A TRO is a Temporary Restraining Order issued by a Minnesota court judge. The most common type of TRO is for domestic abuse or threats of violence in the family context, but Temporary Restraining Orders are also used in the business context.

This article covers how to get a Minnesota domestic abuse Temporary Restraining Order, which is also called an Order for Protection or OFP. If you need a TRO against a non-family member, the standard TRO rules apply, which are covered here: Minnesota Business TRO – Temporary Restraining Order and Temporary Injunction.

How to Get a Temporary Restraining Order Against a Family Member

To get a TRO against a family member, do the following:

  1. Visit your local courthouse
  2. Ask the court clerk for the Order For Protection (OFP) forms
  3. Ask for the court clerk’s help in completing the OFP forms
  4. Wait for the judge to sign the OFP

Minnesota Domestic Abuse TRO

A TRO in the domestic abuse context is technically called an Order for Protection (OFP). That is, the court is issuing an order for you to be protected from the domestic abuse of another person. Orders for protection (OFPs) is available in cases of domestic abuse.

A domestic TRO/OFP may be used to get a spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, or stalker to leave you or your family members alone. To get a domestic abuse TRO, all you have to do is visit your local courthouse, compete the forms while you are there, and you can obtain an OFP signed by the judge. Of course, the forms require that you state under oath that you have a valid basis for requesting the TRO. You must have already been a domestic abuse victim. For example, you would be a domestic abuse victim if a family member put you in immediate fear of physical harm, which is often through threats or attempts to hurt you.

How Much Does It Cost?

Each situation has its own complexities and there are many aspects to discuss to understand the details of your situation and advise you accurately. We have an experienced attorney here who would be happy to analyze your situation’s circumstances and advise you of your legal rights and options. This can generally be accomplished during a one-hour meeting (which can be by phone). Our fee for a one-hour meeting is $300. Work beyond that initial hour is at usual hourly rates. We do not offer free consultations on this type of work.

What is Domestic Abuse?

The Domestic Abuse Act defines domestic abuse to mean the following conduct if committed against a family or household member by a family or household member:

  • physical harm, bodily injury, or assault
  • the infliction of fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, or assault
  • terrorist threats, within the meaning of section 609.713, subdivision 1; or criminal sexual conduct, within the meaning of sections 609.342, 609.343, 609.344, 609.345, or 609.3451; or interference with an emergency call within the meaning of section

For more information, contact a Minnesota family law attorney.

Other Resources

Children Abuse Centers/Hotlines: